Friday, August 29, 2008

Computers Eh!

Today I have attempted to install Windows XP service pack 3, three times on my ageing laptop. And three times it has come up with the error 'could not update file' then proceded to rollback the installation! What 'file' do you speak of? I know not, if you were to tell me then perhaps I could do something about it. But no, you decide there is nothing that can be done and rollback far past beyond where I could have done something about it. You then tell me that the installation was partly installed and I should reboot. Well no s**t sherlock. I never would have worked that one out.

The third time, I downloaded the 300 odd MB offline installation to see if that made a difference - uh arr - would you like to go for quadruple jeapody where the fustration can really increase?

I am now going for that illusive fourth install. I have rebooted, turned off the wireless, then the firewall, the anti virus and anything else I can remove off the process list in order to eliminate as much as possible that could be blocking that 'file' - hopefully it will work and I will not have to be kept being reminded that I have to install Service Pack 3 like a repeating DFS Sale advert.

While I am on a rant, what is it with DFS and their sales? Like British Home Stores changing to BHS, and lesser known 3M being Minessota Minerals and Mining, DFS used to be Discount Furniture Stores. So what! We all know that you offer discounts, by now you must have surely exhausted all of the possible advertising scenarios that can be used to sell furniture? But no, every few weeks or so there is yet another DFS Sale that must 'end soon' - the last one was extended - as if I need to worry another will be along soon. DFS Sales are more reliable than a Bus. There must be a Retirement Home for ex-DFS advertising executives who have burnt out at the age of 33.

There we go. Rant over. Just letting off steam about the things out of my scope of control that can fustrate me.

No comments: